Saturday 24 May 2014

Style | DIY Ripped Denim Jeans

Hello! The wanderer has returned! I have no real justification for not blogging except for having no inspiration, which I'm going to blame on being in my 'home comforts' zone - poor  excuse I know.
Anyway, I have updates and news but I'll save that for my next post when I have all the details; watch this space.

Distressed and ripped denim is everywhere at the moment. They look equally great teamed with a t-shirt and leopard print slip-on's as they do dressed up with heels and a classic blazer. I love anything grungy and effortless looking so was dying to get my hands on the perfect pair. However, after trying on endless versions and always leaving the changing rooms disappointed, I came to the conclusion that they just weren't ripped in the right place for me. You're thinking 'what the hell is this girl talking about' aren't you? I'll explain.

I'm short (as I like to remind everyone at every chance I get) and so finding clothes that suit and fit perfectly isn't an easy task, but it's a challenge I have to take on. Often rips in jeans that are meant to fall on the knee actually end up around my calves, leaving me looking like a clumsy five year old girl who just took a tumble that will scar her (or more importantly, her jeans) for life. Not exactly the look I was going for.

So, on finally managing to take a day off, I decided it was time to brutally hack my jeans (and my finger apparently *cue sympathy*) to create my own.

What you'll need:
001. A pair of old (or new if you dare) denim jeans
002. Scissors
003. Felt / biro pen
004. Hard object that fits inside jean leg (I used a the lid of a plastic tub)
005. Whatever you can get your hands on e.g. tweezers / sandpaper / scourer / foot scrub (?)




Firstly, take your jeans and decide where you want to place your rips. Find inspiration online, try them on; whatever works for you. I did both. Whilst you have the jeans on, draw lines and markings of where you’d like the rips and distressed areas to be.


To make big splits (i.e. across the knee area) mark one long line. Holding the front side of the jean (you don’t want to chop through both sides!) make a cut with the scissors and then continue along the marking. The style you are going for will determine how big you would like the spit to be. I found it best to start smaller and try the jeans on in between. That way you can get a really good idea of what they look like before you make any major boobs and completely ruin them!


To make smaller distressed areas (similar to the top of mine), scour the jeans with some household tools. Experimenting is the best way forward here!
I thought I was clever and went against every rule I was ever taught as a child about using scissors, and consequently cut myself. But if you’re not a total clutz like me, then you’ll be fine!


Place something hard that fits in the leg of your jeans to avoid going through both sides of the material. Scour them with sandpaper, a brush, foot scrub or anything you can get your hands on. Also, using scissors is a really good way to score the material to achieve the ladder effect.



TOP TIP: take time and care and approach it like you're creating a piece of art.

Keep going until you get the look you’re after. Here's how mine have turned out - not bad for a first attempt... even if I do say so myself!


It’s such an easy DIY that’s actually quite fun to do! So give it a go and share your results with me on Twitter and Instagram @lailaMLK 

I look forward to seeing your results! It feels good to be back...
L x





No comments:

Post a Comment