Tuesday 25 March 2014

Recipe | Falafel pittas

Delicious, healthy and cheap? Sounds too good to be true, but I promise it's not.

What you will need:
(Serves 4)

400g can of chickpeas
1 small onion (red works well too)
1 garlic clove
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander (ground)
1/2 tsp of harissa paste (or chilli powder)
2 tbsp plain flour
4 pitta breads
Oil of your choice - I used coconut oil

To serve:
Salad
Salsa / natural yoghurt


Preheat your oven to 200C/390F

Drain the chickpeas and then remove excess water with kitchen towel.


Chop the onion and garlic and place into a blender along with the chickpeas, cumin, coriander, flour, harissa / chilli powder and parsley. I use harissa paste as it's a staple in my household, however, it isn't the cheapest ingredient and chilli powder would work just as well.


Blend until smooth (ish)


Split the mixture to create four round burger-like patties then place in the over for 5 minutes, making sure to flip them half-way through. Meanwhile heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan.


Remove the patties from the oven and place in the frying pan - this completes the crispy outside of the falafel, giving them a slight crunch. Leave them in the pan, making sure to flip them, until they are a golden brown.

Serve in a pitta with salad and your choice of salsa or natural yoghurt. I also served mine with some sweet potato fries as I'm a carb-o-holic and pretty much obsessed with them at the moment. They are way better than your average potato chips!

Photograph credit - BBC

 I got extremely carried away with the delicious smell of these and ate them without even thinking about photographing the final product *hangs head in shame*. Shame on me for being so greedy.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
L x






No comments:

Post a Comment